Outside The Route
It is our second road trip to Romania. Completely different plan, namely none. The route is not set. We didn´t do any research, we didn´t create new pictures in advance. But we do not fool ourselfs, there is no trip without preview pictures.
This time, we will travel with five other friends, who just drive off without wondering which direction to take. They bild their decisions on a simple map of the country. They want to creat and re-create the route every day, driven from well-known, general knowledge, already heard and most of their personal expectations. We, on the other hand, seem to be seeking something, between a personal experience and a journey together with them. In search of what is called communal feeling. A journey with such a large group of friends is as if we were like a small migration, driven only by hope and expectations. This kind of travel could gives us a new sense and attitude. It will take us to the craziest side-roads, bring us the unexpected and perhaps push us to our own limits. I am curious how the extraordinary will appear to us.
Road Trip in Romania – Off the beaten track!
- Travel period: September 2010
- Travel days: Days
- Kilometers on the road: approx. 1050 Km
- Total hours on the road: ca. 17 h.
- Driving Hours/day im Ø: approx. h.
Lake Surduc & Monastery Fardea
Ulpia Traiana Sarmizegetusa
Retezat National Park: Lake Gura Apelor
Cozia National Park: Stanisoara Monastery
The Gardens of Monk Stefan
Salt Mine: Ocnele Mari
Curtea de Arges
Transfagarasan: Saua Caprei
Lipova – Ghioroc – Arad
- Arad – Ghioroc – approx. 25 km – approx. 30 min.
- Ghioroc – Surduc Lake & Fardea Monastery – approx. 90 km – approx. 1 h. 30 min.
- Surduc Lake & Fardea Monastery – Otelu Rosu – approx. 70 km – approx. 1 h.
- Otelu Rosu – Sarmizegetusa – approx. 35 km – approx. 30 min.
- Sarmizegetusa – Retezat National Park – approx. 40 km – approx. 1 h. 15 min.
- Retezat National Park – Petrosani – approx. 95 km – approx. 2 h.
- Petrosani – Vidra Lake – approx. 45 km – approx. 1 h. 30 min.
- Vidra Lake – Cozia National Park & Turnu Monastery – approx. 90 km – approx. 2 h.
- Turnu Monastery – Monastery Cozia – approx. 3 km – approx. 5 min.
- Cozia Monastery – Ramnicu Valcea – approx. 30 km – approx. 30 min.
- Ramnicu Valcea – Ocnele Mari – approx. 8 km – approx. 10 min.
- Ocnele Mari – Curtea de Arges – approx. 45 km – approx. 1 h.
- Curtea de Arges – Vidraru Lake – approx. 30 km – approx. 30 min.
- Vidraru Lake – Transfagarasan – approx. 50 km – approx. 1 h.
- Transfagarasan – Cisnadie – approx. 85 km – approx. 1 h. 30 min.
- Cisnadie – Sibiu – approx. 12 km – approx. 20 min.
- Sibiu – Arad – approx. 302 km – approx. 30 min.